Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I guess it wasn't the worst day

This post is mostly for me. I want to remember what happened, but then again I want to forget about it too. It was a really emotionally draining day. The day started out fairly normal. About 9:30 a.m. Kyler started being REALLY fussy. He's not a fussy baby by nature, he's so happy & content to hang out. I figured he had a stomach ache, because of something I ate; that happens all too often. I held & cuddled him ALL DAY LONG! Emotionally draining! He would fuss through feedings, but was still eating; I wasn't too worried. As the day wore on there were no smiles, he slept or cried. I could tell he was in pain & felt bad about the pepperoni I had eaten. About 6 o'clock as I was feeding him I noticed that he felt warmer than usual. I took his temperature... 101. Here we go again. I had just taken Makelle into the doctor last Friday for her temperature of 103 (they think she has a sinus infection). I called the doctor & they asked me to bring him in. The doctor took a LONG look at him. No ear infection. No evidence that it was viral. No evidence that it was bacterial. The doctor proceeded to tell me that 97% of the time it is viral, but there was a 2% chance it was bacterial. There was no way to find out unless they did blood tests, urine samples, maybe even a spinal tap. The thought of nurses & doctors poking & prodding my son had me in tears. HE'S ONLY 7 WEEKS! The doctor felt it best to send us to Primary Children's Hospital downtown... the one in Riverton doesn't admit infants overnight; so he thought it best to start downtown in case he needed to be monitored overnight. I went & picked up Jeff & my mother-in-law took the older kids to sleep over at her house. It was nice to know they were well taken care of, one less or more like 3 less things I didn't have to worry about. We got to the hopsital about 9 o'clock p.m. The waiting was probably the worst part. I just wanted to know my son was going to be ok. As we waited in the waiting room a couple of patients waiting their turn started talking to me & were genuinely concerned for Kyler. I in turn was asking about their situations & feel so blessed that this was only our first (& hopefully last) trip to Primary's. We finally were able to be seen. They poked & prodded, he cried & fussed. We would get him settled down & they would poke & prod some more. I did leave the room for part of it... I'm not a fan of needles & I hated to see him in so much pain. Jeff stayed with him & was my rock the entire time we were there. He was so calm & knew everything was going to be fine. I think I cried for 9 hours straight. About 1 a.m. my dad & Jeff gave him a blessing. That was the first time I felt comfort... the Spirit was so strong in that tiny room. I'm so grateful for the priesthood! And finally at about 2:00 a.m. the doctor came in & told us the blood tests came back normal. We are still waiting on the spinal tap test. We get the results tomorrow & pray that it is normal. As they were discharging us they took his temperature one more time, it had started to go down. I was hopeful once again that he would be fine. Today he is giving me smiles & acting more like himself. He is still one sleepy baby.. all that prodding all night long sure took a toll on him. We love Kyler & are thankful to our Heavenly Father for blessing us with this sweet spirit!

6 comments:

Adam and Rachel said...

I am so sorry! That is so rough! Keep us posted on the results for the spinal tap. That is so scary! You are in my prayers.

Angie said...

That is so sad and so scary! I hope the test comes back normal!

Becca said...

That sounds awful Aub! I am so sorry! We like normal. :)
I hope everything keeps getting better and the results come back okay.
I know what you mean about Jeff being your rock. I feel the same way about Zach. I hate watching my kids get "tortured" by needles! Love ya!

Linetta said...

Unfortunately, when infants under 2 months old have a temp. over 100, they take extra precautions. Shelby had RSV at 6 weeks and it nearly scared us to death, too. I pray Kyler will be well soon and that you can have peace and get some rest until then.

Team Beardshall said...

Blessings are awesome!!!! How scary, I am so glad that he seems to be fine now! Wow I'm not sure how you do it with 4 kidos! Good job mom!!!

Rachel said...

I am so sorry you had to go through all those horrible hospital visits. Aubs, you have been very blessed, and you have been such a HUGE example to me and I LOVE you!! Keep me posted on how Kyler is doing..my prayers will be with you!