Monday, October 19, 2009

Learning & Sharing

Let's start off with my lovely shiner! Lexi got rough on the bed & jumped & landed on my cheek bone. There was so much force that she gave me a huge goose egg & a nice black eye. This picture was taken about five days after it happened, so most of the swelling is down & it has a nice pretty color. I get lots of funny looks & a lot of people really think Jeff did it.
I've been into Super Nanny lately. She gives some really good tips on how to deal with the little munchkins. She talked about a listening game. So for family night we blind folded everyone & they had to listen to whoever was giving instructions to find a ball & put it in a bucket. The ball & the bucket were in seperate rooms, so it was kind of difficult. Afterwards we talked about the importance of listening to mom & dad, so we can be guided to our goal. It was a fun game for the kids. And they did pretty good.
We've also started a new thing; before we put the kids to bed we tell them ALL of the good things they did that day. I've been trying to write them down as I see them. So that even if there are tantrums & fighting at the end of the day we can still end on a good note. I've noticed their desire to do more good things throughout the day.

Ethan wanted to go on an adventure today. He wanted to look for shapes. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to help Lexi learn her shapes. We searched around the house for lots of different shapes. The vacuum is a triangle. I thought it was pretty clever & pretty close. It was even Lexi's idea... I think it was a lucky guess, but the more we do it the better she'll get.

This was their star find. Not too shabby.

Ethan noticed this rectangle right off... the door, but actually the rug woulda worked too.
I'd love to hear your ideas & activities that you do with your kids. I'm not very creative myself, I have to steal other people's ideas, that's why I watch Super Nanny. And don't forget to vote, the poll is at the top of the blog... boy or girl?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I LOVE your ideas, they are great! Your kids are so cute to get so excited about them too. I love doing things like this with my kids. I would love to share ideas.

PS---That is some shiner you have girl!! I hope it hasn't been to painful for you! Can I bring you over a steak to put on it? =)

Becca said...

I'm glad you got a pic of your eye...such things should be documented. :)
As for activities, the shape one was cute...even better that it was Ethan's idea.
You know, just basic games are good learning opportunities. One of our favorites is hide n' seek. That is how Sarah learned to count. We do "official" school at our house and then "table time in the afternoons. It helps me to declare what and when I'm doing it so then it will get done. If you'd like some of the websites I use for ideas, I can email you them. You are a wonderful mom!

Melissa said...

I just wanted to say thank you for that fun game! Kayla came home with homework, and one of the things that she needed to do was play a game with mom or dad. I wanted to play a new game with her and I had just read your blog. We played the listening game and it was a hit!! Keep the ideas coming!!!

Jaime said...

Nice shiner there girl! Hey here an idea. When my kids argue and are fighting, I make them set on the bottom step on the stairs and the goal is to get to the top of the stairs, the way to do this is they have to say something nice about the other person to be able to move up a step, then by the time they get to the top they are smiling and laughing and realize that they really do like each other afterall

Jena said...

Great post Aubrey, these are some great ideas! Your kids are very cute!