Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm an idiot!

Spencer came home yesterday, I remembered everything I needed except the camera. I was so mad! His plane arrived a bit early, my mom was extatic! She'd been up since 4:30, she was too excited to sleep. We were all excited, even Ethan, he was counting how many more sleeps til he came home, but my mom was definately the most excited. Ethan stared at the stairs, almost the entire time we were there waiting for him to come down. He held his signs that he made & waited patiently. When Spencer finally came down the stairs Ethan just stared. Spencer is just a picture, not a real person, right? For 2 years we've pointed to his picture & tried to help him remember, Lexi even knew his name from the picture, but they were both a little wary. Spencer bent down & Ethan gave him a hug, Lexi was too unsure she just stared at him. As I introduced him to my two girls I started bawling, he's missed so much of their lives & I was so excited to show him what they could do & how sweet they are.
Two years has done him good, he's changed so much & you can see it in his countenance. In all his letters he never seemed homesick. He's loved serving there & loved the people. He said his favorite part of his mission was the service. We were able to go see him get released & before the Stake Presidency would release him, Spencer had to tell us more about his mission. He talked about his testimony & how much it grew, how much he loved the people. The Spirit was so strong, it helped my testimony knowing how much the Lord cared about the people in Ventura & was aware of them. He saw many miracles & had a hard time leaving those people. I'm grateful for his sacrifice & am so grateful to have him back!

4 comments:

Holly said...

That is awesome!! Crazy that you had 2 kids in the time he was gone! You're kids are all so cute.

Melissa said...

Don't worry, Jackie got it all on video. At least you got to go to the airport!;>

The Littlefields said...

That is so exciting that he's home! Bummer you forgot your camera, but Jackie did get some good footage! I cried while I watched it. I'm excited to see him on Sunday.

Rachel said...

I'm sad I missed you..my dad told me that it was his homecoming and I thought to myself, "shoot, I missed seeing Aubs!" I'm going to a singles ward up at the U-but I haven't moved out of the house yet..It sure pays going to a singles ward because I got a date out of it! :) That's funny that your kids didn't recognize Spencer in person, that's how my niece Emily was when I got home too-she was 2 when I left and was 4 when I got home-she didn't know who I was either! :( We've bonded though..